Mo asks Nancy Duarte: What’s your best advice to people for deepening relationships in an authentic way?
- The simple answer is storytelling. Studies have shown that different areas of the brain light up during a story, and it allows people to feel your content, not just listen to it.
- Storytelling is a powerful way to feel a sense of connection between two people. If the goal is to create a bond, the best way to do that is through story.
- If you don’t have a great origin story, you should have a calling story. You should also have a collection of stories in your repertoire that shows how your product or service gets your customers unstuck.
- Origin stories are reasons to believe, but there are also stories just meant to bond or influence. They can come in the form of I, We, or They, and the more distant the story is from your own experience, the more you have to build in performance and empathy.
- The more you practice telling stories, the more you are able to inject your own genuineness and authenticity.
- Even Nancy hires a coach to help her craft her story. In one of her more recent internal presentations, Nancy took her slide deck and noted what emotions she wanted her audience to feel and when, and then recrafted the message to facilitate that.
Mentioned in this Episode: