Mo asks Sandy Lutton: When was the moment that you realized that you wanted to focus on business development?
- At the beginning of Sandy’s career she started off in a job at a call center doing customer service and she learned that sales were an integral part of success. She realized that she loved solving people’s problems and enjoyed building relationships.
- This led to diving into the world of sales within the telecom industry and eventually software and consulting. The opportunity to engage deeply with a client and understand what their business needs and goals were only made the work more attractive.
- A prospect is not just a prospect, they are in the client process, and Sandy acts accordingly. The prospect stage is about building trust and adding value in a way they need at that point in the relationship.
- Sandy has a passion for helping storytellers get their story out into the world. Sandy is working with a prospect right now by helping get him in touch with writers that can get his story down on paper.
- Treating a prospect like a client and providing the value they need at the stage they are in is how you build the relationship from the ground up. Start with strategy and making introductions while communicating that process early on and getting their buy in on the process.
- As a sole proprietor, it’s important to know at what point they need you specifically and when you can be the most valuable to them.
Mentioned in this Episode: