Mo asks Scott Winter: When was the moment that you realized that business development was great?
- Scott started his career off in sales with LexisNexis and that developed into a role in consulting. Eventually he made the switch to a product management position with Interaction where he focused on CRM and client relationships.
- Interaction is the world’s largest CRM system for law firms and by coming up in that environment, Scott learned a lot about the technical aspects of the software which helped him better serve his clients.
- Scott had the typical mindset about sales in college that most people have, but he reframed his perspective after getting some actual experience in sales positions.
- The one key moment when Scott realized that business development was a powerful tool for growth was after having a simple conversation with someone on a plan. Just listening carefully and remembering what he learned blew that person away when they met again many months later.
- Scott has a knack for having a conversation on any subject and being able to find a point of connection. He also tends to add notes in his phone of a particularly interesting detail (powerlifting, ironman training, etc.) and makes use of his CRM to keep track of everything.
- Remembering details about someone is an art and a science, but there are tools you can use to make it easier.
Mentioned in this Episode: