Mo asks Brian Caffarelli: Tell me of a business development story that you are really proud of.
- Brian’s most proud of the lesson he learned from his story. Early in his career, Brian was part of a major sales effort with a world-class brand. Negotiations went very well until there was one intractable snag with the contract.
- Brian learned that it wasn’t just about making a sale, it was about making a quality sale. Some clients aren’t right for your organization.
- You will never regret the client you didn’t get, as much as the wrong client you did get.
- Brian had to step up in two dimensions: In being with the buyer through all the steps of the process, and in bridging the gap between the seller’s needs and the buyer’s needs.
- Shared expectations are important. You should be diligent around creating shared expectations before a sale is made so that everyone is on the same page and you can avoid making painful mistakes down the road.
- If something isn’t a fit, it’s better to find that out sooner rather than later.
Mentioned in this Episode: